Monday, April 17, 2006

Sin City during Holy Week

Spent last week in Vegas, not gambling and drinking, just babysitting, eating and shopping.

After work last Tuesday, I sped home to get ready to eat Manna for Bev's birthday and pack for my one-way bus ride to join my cousins, Sheena and Mia Vegas. Crazy, huh? I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend the week with the Vegas fam.

James and Cile dropped me off at the bus station. Quite an experience. Bus stations seem so final, so send off-ish. To add to it, I bought a one-way ticket. I found this amusing, there were individual TV's hooked onto the chairs at the station that worked on $.25 per 15 minutes. Of course I had to try it. Later felt bad. I could have given the money to the homeless lady next to me instead. Oops.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I left the Greyhound station in downtown around midnight and hoped to sleep all the way to Vegas. At around 3:00am, I was woken up by a sudden stop and gasps with low grumbles of "Oh, my God" from the other passengers. I turned to the direction everyone else was facing and found them looking at another Greyhound bus, not on highway 15, but OFF highway 15, it's passengers surrounding the bus. My first thought, "Crap! Now I have to go out and help." I don't know what happened. The bus was on the other side of the highway in a diagonal position. When we got there, it was backing up into the proper position to let people back on. I would have taken a picture, but I didn't think I could have gotten a good shot. The bus driver got back on and cautiously continued driving to Vegas. Arrived at 5:00am and waited for Sheena and Mia to pick me up at the downtown Las Vegas Station.

Got to my cousins' house to find out they had EIGHT kids. I said, EIGHT KIDS? What eight kids? Marc and Denise only have two. Turns out the kiddies also wanted to spend spring break in Vegas. Spent most of the day in a daze, still tired from the day before and sleep deprived. On our way to the Hawaiian Marketplace, Denise touched the Budda's belly in hopes that her third baby woule be a girl.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Joy Luck Club was on and after Sheena said, referring to Ming-Na, "She makes me want to have Chinese." So, we had chinese buffet. All I did on this trip was eat. For dinner, we drove to Summerlin for Islands. The next night, Roberto's. No carne asada fries, but still, good Mexican food.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The Kiddies were something. In the car, they'd sing to songs I hadn't even heard before. Makes you think when 5, 11 and 12 year-olds sing "Get it right, get it tight," do they know what they are saying? Did we know what we were sining when we sang "Push it, push it real good?"

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

My other big kid cousin, Markie on his son's drum set.

Image hosting by Photobucket

And him trying on his new pair of Harley sunglasses.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I didn't spend the entire time playing. I brought one book and opened it for a few hours. It was...open. Alright, kick my a$$. Anyway, thanks for the Moose Call, Markie and here's to praying for a girl, Denise. Thanks for always letting us crash your place.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger cecile marie said...

OH YEAHHHH!!!!!!! the twilight zone bus station. god, so much stuff happened in one week i totally forgot about that. definitely interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home