Monday, May 08, 2006

Movie review: M:i:III

***No real spoilers. Safe to read if you plan to watch the movie.***

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I liked it. It was actually better than I thought it was going to be.

You know how big a fan of ALIAS I am. I'd heard that M:i:III was basically ALIAS: the Movie, but I didn't think that. Not really. There were several call backs to ALIAS and I think that was intentional. I thought it was going to distract me. Only one of the scenes did, the 7eleven scene. It was totally ripped from ALIAS. Instead of Vaughn offering Sydney a slushee and wishing her luck on her mission, it's Billy Crudup and Tom Cruise. Not the same.

In any case, I thought the movie was fun and entertaining. It was full of action and explosions, but there was also a little character mixed in. That's JJ. JJ's storytelling style is very musical and rhythmic. He likes to open with throwing you in the middle of things, the climax to his melody. In this case, a very story, intense beat like pounding drums in crescendo. He'll then skip back to the introit to get you involved and invested in his characters. Here it was a whimsical, romantic adagio. Then, he'll revisit the melody. This time you don't only hear the pounding drums, you also hear the horns, the strings and wind instruments crescendo as well. Lastly, he'll throw you off a little and finally conclude the story, the coda.

I also enjoyed Keri Russell kick some A$$.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In M:i:III, Ethan Hunt and his team try to break into the Vatcian. Well, they did that on ALIAS' season One as well. Let me set up the scene. Sydney is a fugative. In order to prove her innocence she needs to get the code key from a piece of artwork in the Vatican in able to decipher text on a mysterious blank page. Sydney asks Vaughn, who at the moment is her "handler" to assist her. It's their first mission together in the field. Hee2! Check it out here.

FYI- the stairs were filmed at Immaculate Heart with the background painted out and replaced with the Vatican.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My overall rating of M:i:III 4 out of 5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home